What is Aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy is a wonderfully therapeutic treatment, using essential oils derived from plants, trees and fruits. The interaction of the chemicals in the essential oils with the body chemistry can affect the body physiologically, by changing the chemical messages and impulses sent around the body, and psychologically, due to the proximity of the olfactory system (the nerves which detect smell) to the limbic system (the area of the brain that deals with memory, emotions, our instincts and mechanical functions).
Based on a full initial consultation, I can create a bespoke blend of oils to specifically address your needs. The anti-bacterial and anti-viral effect of these oils helps the body to heal and supports the immune system. Essential oils can also have a powerful effect on emotions and moods so can be blended to be relaxing or uplifting, as you choose.
How do essential oils penetrate the body?
There are two fast and effective methods: smell/inhalation and absorption through the skin. Aromatherapy can be delivered by way of massage, inhalation, baths, balms and/or toiletries.
Essential oils should never be swallowed even when diluted, for the following reasons:.
• Essential oils can be toxic
• They are extremely concentrated and if swallowed can damage the lining of the stomach
• The enzymes of the stomach change the chemical structure of the oils so the therapeutic effect can be changed or negated
• Direct ingestion can put a strain on the liver
• The oils become weaker as they pass through the digestive system
• It would be very easy to overdose
What are the benefits of Aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy has a wide range of health benefits, promoting a general state of relaxation and well-being to assist you in achieving optimal health.
Aromatherapy is a great treatment for:
• Stress-relief – reduces stress and tension. Great for anxiety and depression
• Alleviating muscular and joint pain
• Improving joint mobility
• Improving skin conditions
• Boosting the immune system
• Increasing energy, improving mental clarity and emotional balance. Can help with symptoms of dementia
• Improving digestive issues
• Cleansing the body of toxins, improving circulation and lymphatic drainage
• Can help with weight management.
What treatments to do you offer?
I offer a choice of three Aromatherapy Massage treatments from my garden therapy room: (see the Aromatherapy page).
Bespoke blended aromatherapy oils can also be purchased for home use – for inhalation and baths.
Gift vouchers are available from £20 upwards.
I also sell a fantastic range of natural organic skincare products handmade in Cornwall by Bloom Remedies. This award-winning artisan beauty range nourishes your skin and nurtures your soul; they make great gifts for mothers or girlfriends – perfect for birthdays, Christmas presents or Valentines Day.